Search This Blog

Saturday, July 3, 2010

REVISION - THE CURIOUS INCIDENT - CHAPTER 7

CHRISTOPER PROCLAIMS:  This is a murder mystery novel.

Do you agree with Christopher that his book is about a "murder mystery"?

This is a murder mystery novel.


Siobhan said that I should write something I would want to read myself.

Mostly I read books about science and maths. I do not like proper novels. In proper novels people say things like, “I am veined with iron, with silver and with streaks of common mud. I cannot contract into the firm fist which those clench who do not depend on stimulus.” What does this mean? I don’t know. Nor does Father. Nor do Siobhan or Mr. Jeavons. I have asked them.

Siobhan has long blonde hair and wears glasses which are made of green plastic.

And Mr. Jeavons smells of soap and wears brown shoes that have approximately 60 tiny circular holes in each of them.

But I do like murder mystery novels. So I am writing a murder mystery novel.

In a murder mystery novel someone has to work out who the murderer is and then catch them. It is a puzzle. If it is a good puzzle you can sometimes work out the answer before the end of the book.

Siobhan said that the book should begin with something to grab people’s attention. That is why I started with the dog. I also started with the dog because it happened to me and I find it hard to imagine things which did not happen to me.

Siobhan read the first page and said that it was different. She put this word into inverted commas by making the wiggly quotation sign with her first and second fingers. She said that it was usually people who were killed in murder mystery novels. I said that two dogs were killed in the Hound of the Baskervilles, the hound itself and James Mortimer’s spaniel, but Siobhan said they weren’t the victims of the murder, Sir Charles Baskerville was. She said that this was because readers cared more about people than dogs, so if a person was killed in the book readers would want to carry on reading.

I said that I wanted to write about something real and I knew people who had died but I did not know any people who had been killed, except Edward’s father from school, Mr. Paulson, and that was a gliding accident, not murder, and I didn’t really know him. I also said that I cared about dogs because they were faithful and honest, and some dogs were cleverer and more interesting than some people. Steve, for example, who comes to school on Thursdays, needs help to eat his food and could not even fetch a stick. Siobhan asked me not to say this to Steve’s mother.

In this chapter, what do we find out about Christopher?

He tells us his preference on books he reads.



What does Christopher mean by “proper novels”?


THINK: How different is he from you?


This chapter contains Christopher’s only physical description of Siobhan.


Jeavons is the psychologist at Christopher’s special needs school.


Does Christopher invent the murder and create the murderer then? Do you think he is successful in building the puzzle to enthrall you?

Are we supposed to believe that Christopher is telling us a true story?


THINK: Is Christopher’s book about dogs?


Christopher’s world is surrounded by special needs children, most in condition probably more dependent on the caregiver’s help than him.

No comments: